POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More polyhedra : Re: More polyhedra Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More polyhedra
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 28 Jun 2009 09:25:01
Message: <web.4a476e46d12045c4f6ec10440@news.povray.org>
"TC" <do-not-reply@i-do get-enough-spam-already-2498.com> wrote:
> Very beautiful, indeed! And surely it did take a lot of work to code the
> shapes. Are they meshes or CSG?

They are meshes, and can be used in CSG, but I didn't generate the data myself.
The vertex/face data comes from here:

http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/vp.html

It's all in VRML format, but I wrote a tool to convert the files to POV-Ray .inc
files, as a set of macros (with various texture options) as well as a global
array holding the vertices. The only really hard work I've been doing is
tweaking the macros to orient the polyhedra pleasingly.

> Did you consider posting the polyherda to the object-library? I think a lot
> of people would like to play with these beautiful shapes... me for one ;-)

I probably need to contact the author of the above site first to make sure he's
happy with me swiping his vertices (naturally he'd be credited in all the .inc
files), but that was my eventual intention.

> Can't help it, I am something of a magpie - I love glittering things...

That's what raytracing was invented for! :-)