POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More polyhedra : Re: More polyhedra Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:24:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More polyhedra
From: mone
Date: 27 Jun 2009 23:55:00
Message: <web.4a46e965d12045c42595c0@news.povray.org>
> "Simone" <inf### [at] alienenterprisesde> wrote:

> The shadows are bright in my image because I used radiosity with a bright
> environment, so there are no completely shadowed areas. However, if you have a
> sphere and a single light source, a largely dark shadow with a single bright
> spot is to be expected. It only looks odd because you don't often get that
> lighting setup in reality.

Yes, I think I'll have to try with radiosity right from the start. First I
thought I would try it with only a single light and without radiosity and when
it looks halfway decent, to enhance it with radiosity and another light source.
Because having radiosity right from the beginning is always so time consuming
that it doesn't work well with my trial and error approach :))

Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:
> Glass objects, as well as metallic ones, need some environment to look
> good.
Yes, I already had a plane and skysphere. I also tried to put some other
transparent objects around and set them to no_image. It does lighten up the
shadows of the still visible sphere, but at the same time the sphere's shadow
starts too look dull and not colorful. And then when there is supposed to be
only one sphere in the scene, reflections from other objects on the spere's
surface look a little weird, too. On the other hand, if there are no such
reflections, it looks too sterile. Simple things seem to me sometimes the most
difficult.

However, thanks for the various advice. If I'll manage to come up with a decent
result I'll post it here :)