POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another dispersion_samples anomaly : Re: Another dispersion_samples anomaly Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another dispersion_samples anomaly
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Jun 2009 20:35:00
Message: <web.4a46b9f4462c6a6778641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"Anthony D. Baye" <Sha### [at] spamnomorehotmailcom> wrote:
> Personally, I'm not seeing anything, and I rendered the objects myself with the
> latest beta. It might be nice if you included your global photon settings, and
> perhaps the light source.  The problem might be differences in
> viewing angle, angle of incidence, that kind of thing.
>
> Try rendering each one from the same angle.  Rather than using a loop render the
> scene as frames of an animation with your parameters tied to the frame_number.
> Slice the images up and set each sphere side-by-side for comparison.
>
> "Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> > It seems that the smaller the dispersion_samples, the darker the glass.
> > Could this be the 2 missing dispersion samples making their absence felt?

Top row was run with +kff5 declare=Ph=0 (faked caustics).
Bottom row was run with +kff5 declare=Ph=1 (photons).

Left half of each sphere has no dispersion; right half has dispersion_samples
set to the number in the frame.

#ifndef (Ph) #declare Ph = no; #end

global_settings
{  assumed_gamma 1
   max_trace_level 256
   #if (Ph) photons { spacing 0.005 autostop 0 } #end
}

camera
{  location -5 * z
   right x up y
   angle 30
}

sky_sphere { pigment { gradient y color_map { [0 rgb 0.9] [1 rgb 0.5] } } }

light_source
{  <0, 1, -1> * 1000, rgb 1
   parallel point_at 0
}

plane { y, -1 pigment { rgb 1 } }

sphere
{  0, 1
   pigment { rgbf 1 }
   finish
   {  reflection { 0 1 fresnel } conserve_energy
      specular 1 roughness 0.001
   }
   interior
   {  ior 1.5
      #if (frame_number > 1)
         dispersion 1.05
         dispersion_samples frame_number * 2
      #end
      #if (!Ph) caustics 1 #end
   }
   photons { target reflection on refraction on collect off }
}

#if (frame_number > 1)
   text
   {  ttf "cyrvetic.ttf" str (frame_number * 2, 0, 0) 0.01, 0
      pigment { rgb x }
      no_shadow no_reflection
      scale 0.4
      translate <0.65, 0.65, -1>