POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More polyhedra : Re: More polyhedra Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More polyhedra
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 25 Jun 2009 08:15:00
Message: <web.4a436916d12045c46dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > Would the shading due to the caustics still be correct?
>
>   Why wouldn't it?

Well, if my isosurface were more deeply ridged, there'd be shadowed areas in the
photon maps that normals wouldn't produce. But this probably isn't happening
here, I ended up with very shallow features.

Aside from that, I just assumed that the normal block wouldn't be used when
applying photon maps to surfaces. For no good reason, other than that normals
aren't used in radiosity unless specified. I can't find any mention of it in
the docs. I'll try it later, then I'll know... :)

>   Everything is "cheating" in rendering. It's just smart to use the
> cheats which will produce the same results faster.

True. At least (in general) cheating with actual geometry is a little closer to
reality. But I agree it would seem to make little or no difference in this
case.