POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Opinions about rules - no debate : Re: Opinions about rules - no debate Server Time
2 May 2024 06:05:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opinions about rules - no debate
From: clipka
Date: 22 Jun 2009 22:20:00
Message: <web.4a403bb5418f4db28a8745f10@news.povray.org>
Thibaut Jonckheere <tua### [at] MAPSONyahoofr> wrote:
> The goal of this thread is simply to give everyone interested the
> opportunity to voice his opinions and desires about the rules in a short
> and concise way , without trying to convice anyone or to prove that
> "this is the best" (or the more logical, or the more blah blah blah).
> Just to know what the people think (even if the people which express
> their opinion here are only a small subset of the participants of the IRTC).

I think the rules should emphasize that the contest is a 3D rendering contest.
Entries should be both created and judged accodingly; use of non-trivial
post-processing technology should be discouraged unless supporting the 3D
rendering process, in which case such use should be openly declared by the
author, to submit it to the voters' judgement.

Distinction should be made by technology actually employed, not by software
category; that is, for instance using POV-Ray for post-processing should be
judged no differently than using Photoshop instead.

Examples should be given for what can be considered trivial, what can typically
be considered ok, and what is to be considered a no-go; in any case, common
sense should be employed, on a case-by-case basis.

Adding a signature or watermark should be considered trivial.

Converting between file formats, changing resolutions, and fixing contrast,
brightness or gamma should be considered trivial as well.

Compositing multiple rendered images according to rendered masks should be
considered as supporting the 3D rendering process, and therefore ok but
requiring declaration.

Adding lense flares, artistic blur or similar effects should be considered
inappropriate (unless achieved through a genuine 3D rendering technique).

Rules should be followed, and compliance judged, according to the spirit, not
the letter.

3D rendering should be interpreted in a broad sense, including other 3D
rendering technologies besides raytracing. The rules should explicitly state
that although IRTC is an acronym for "International Ray Tracing Contest", this
is for historical reasons, and should instead be read as "International 3D
Rendering Contest".