POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Opinions about rules - no debate : Re: Opinions about rules - no debate Server Time
2 May 2024 00:54:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opinions about rules - no debate
From: Hildur K
Date: 22 Jun 2009 11:05:01
Message: <web.4a3f9c50418f4db2906689d0@news.povray.org>
Thibaut Jonckheere <tua### [at] MAPSONyahoofr> wrote:

> -  I think the rules should simply state that a ray-tracer has to be the
> main tool to produce the image, and give a lot of freedom to the
> participants concerning their method and other tools used.

We are already using many different tools as an aid to produce the final image.
Allowing people to use other software tools prior to final rendering, but not
after, may not always be practical. The rules could reflect that the raytracing
software should always be the main tool used, as this is after all a raytracting
competition, but more flexibility regarding other tools should be allowed to
make better use of the software available and add different possibilities to
the creative and technological potential.

Different way of producing images may also encourage changes in the future
versions of the software itself. The participants of the IRTC have always been
test bunnies for the Povray developers. They show what can and cannot be done
with the software. The way we produce images must show to the developers what
needs to be implemented and what needs to be changed or fixed in future

we might risk they become a liability and limit both the user and the
development of raytracing software like Povray.