POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Illegal Entry? (IRTC related) : Re: Illegal Entry? (IRTC related) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal Entry? (IRTC related)
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 19 Jun 2009 22:20:00
Message: <web.4a3c465c8f017c6bbd7347380@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> "Mike the Elder" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Under the "Pure Ray Tracing" rule system that some have advocated, the attached
> > image, entitled 'First Cup of the Morning', would not constitute a "legal"
> > entry.  Each of the two panels was created
> > from scratch using POV-Ray.  All objects were created using only CSG.  The final
> > image would be disallowed, however, because the two panels were stuck
> > together with "post processing" software (Irfanview).
>
> I don't know what constitutes "pure" ray tracing.
>
> However, your two images can be easily joined in POV-Ray by rendering two
> adjacent boxes, each using one of your source images as an image map.

Yes, I *COULD*, but it would be silly.
Insisting that entries place heavy emphasis on ray tracing makes sense.
Demanding that simple things be done in Rube Goldberg-like fashion just so
that one can say "Zero post processing was involved" does not.
In the fairly unlikely event that the absolute purist position should become
the governing principle of the IRTC, I'm certain that all five or six people
who are really interested in making images that way will have just a lovely
time praising the purity of one another's entries.

Best Regards,
Mike C.