POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Illegal Entry? (IRTC related) : Illegal Entry? (IRTC related) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Illegal Entry? (IRTC related)
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 19 Jun 2009 11:30:01
Message: <web.4a3ba5b69bb9b5fc85627c70@news.povray.org>
Under the "Pure Ray Tracing" rule system that some have advocated, the attached
image, entitled 'First Cup of the Morning', would not constitute a "legal"
entry.  Each of the two panels was created
from scratch using POV-Ray.  All objects were created using only CSG.  The final
image would be disallowed, however, because the two panels were stuck
together with "post processing" software (Irfanview). Now, I certainly wouldn't
expect to receive any technical merit points for the simple act of sticking two
images together, but it seems silly to me that this would be enough to get the
image tossed out altogether.

Allow me to suggest something like this:
(There is most certainly room for improving upon the wording.)

Because this is the "Internet RAY TRACING Contest", judges are encouraged to
award points in all categories with a very strong emphasis on how well the
unique potentials of ray tracing as a method for producing images are used.
Non-ray tracing aspects of image production which are used well and logically
shall be considered neutrally, while producing an effect in such a manner that
could have been done better through ray tracing will be considered just grounds
for reducing a score substantially.

This does leave quite a bit up to the individual judge, but I don't see this as
a problem inasmuch as making judgments is, by definition, what judges are here
to do.  I would suggest that the goal of exploring the full potential of ray
tracing can be better pursued if we include the possibilities of how the method
can be used in conjunction with other tools rather than limiting ourselves to
that which can achieved by using our beloved process under conditions of extreme
isolation.

Best Regards,
Mike C.

Post a reply to this message