POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements : Re: Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
17 May 2024 08:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
From: Hildur K
Date: 16 Jun 2009 09:35:00
Message: <web.4a379f0064396b4f421830f90@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

....I
> must say (and this is really personal) that the technical side is only a
> 'tool' for me to achieve my art. For me, it is not an end in itself, however
> interesting and important  it may be otherwise. I must admit that if the
> main(?) focus of the IRTC is the technical focus, then I sadly loose
> interest. I thought that the IRTC was a platform to create (and show)
> beautiful images through ray-tracing, whatever the technical background.

and

If, however, the consensus
here that that is not allowed, then I see no future (for me) in the IRTC
anymore... :-)

I agree 100%. Same for me.

The process of making a beautiful image in Povray takes a bit more than
technical ability and usually demands more tools than one. I have always seen
participating in the IRTC as an place where you can learn a lot and at the same
time share your techniques. I work in more than one 3D software and sometimes
the execution of an particular idea is better suited to one program than the
other. Sometimes I use more than one in unison. We all do!

The misconception that working in a commercial software is easier than in a
non-commercial also seems to be widespread. I must admit that my learning curve
was steep at the beginning, but when you master one program to some degree, it

point in making people assume that making a beautiful image in any 3D

trial and error and hundreds of test renderings to find out what works and what
does not. Until, of course, when you reach the point that you have done it all

To me the IRTC has been the platform where I could challenge myself and try out
new ideas and techniques. A place where I can have my peers judge my work and
push me to go for a bigger challenge each time. This has been very rewarding
because after all, the voting system seems to be fair and helpful. If you get a
low score, then you know what to do. Push your boundaries and try harder next
time. It works.

Hildur K.