POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.general : Minimum Entry Requirements : Re: Minimum Entry Requirements Server Time
2 May 2024 11:49:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Minimum Entry Requirements
From: ChrisH
Date: 15 Jun 2009 22:15:00
Message: <web.4a36ff8f64396b4fe2df804f0@news.povray.org>
As an interested bystander reading the ongoing messages in this and other
threads, I would like some clarification -

If the IRTC goes to a "pure" POVRAY rendering only format, then could I still be
able to use any modeler that saves my geometry into a POVRAY compatible mesh
file, i.e.  I could use any modeler that saves a POVRAY mesh directly (such as
Rhino) or any modeler that saves an obj formatted file that I can export to
Poseray to convert to a POVRAY compatible mesh. Also, I could use Photoshop to
create image maps to use in POVRAY as well as UVMapper in combination with
Photoshop and Poseray to create image maps to use in POVRAY. I could even use a
modeler to layout my scene and lights, then create a POVRAY compatible macro to
move my layout into POVRAY. I would then use the unique modeling, lighting and
texturing capability of POVRAY to flesh out my scene. Is this a correct
assumption ?

However, if the IRTC moves past a "POVRAY only" stance to allow any ray tracer,
would it be possible to get a list of "approved" ray tracing software so that I
don't get burned by a judge not familiar with what is available to use ?

Chris Holtorf