POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra : Re: Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:14:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 14 Jun 2009 09:15:01
Message: <web.4a34f7829ec74c6f69f956610@news.povray.org>
> The stellated edge-only forms remind me of a toy I got as a child from
> the Science Museum of Minnesota - I wonder if I still have it, in fact.
> It was a kit for building shapes like this, with vaguely star-shaped (6-
> pointed IIRC) rubber caps that you could insert clear plastic rods into
> in order to make various shapes.
>
> Might be time to rummage around in the basement to see if it's in a box
> somewhere.

I used to have some of these when I was young:

http://www.polydron.co.uk/

And the geomag-type toys are pretty good for polyhedra too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geomag

And my dad had a large collection of the platonic/archimedean solids that he'd
built from breakfast cereal boxes.

I think in many ways my interest in geometry and raytracing was inevitable... :)