POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra : Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 13 Jun 2009 13:05:01
Message: <web.4a33db9ec70d37169f956610@news.povray.org>
I've been flitting from project to project quite a bit lately, not really had
the time to devote to intensive problem-solving. So here's some fruit from a
'lightweight tinkering' project I've started recently - to produce a relatively
comprehensive library of polyhedra macros. I've settled on two macros per
polyhedron - one for faces, one for edges - allowing different textures for
different polygons, for edge cylinders and vertex spheres. I've also added a
flag to make the polyhedron sit on the x-z plane, on its largest type of face
(or, in the case of the stellated forms, on three points).

These are the Kepler-Poinsot polyhedra, from left to right:
Great stellated dodecahedron
Small stellated dodecahedron
Great icosahedron
Great dodecahedron

The macros are generated automatically by a python script, reading the vertices
and face indices from the .wrl files on George Hart's VR polyhedra site:

http://www.georgehart.com/virtual-polyhedra/vp.html

The stellations need hand-tweaking to get the plane alignment right, but
otherwise it's quite a painless process (once I'd got the conversion program
working, anyway!)

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: