POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Localized damage to planes and edges : Re: Localized damage to planes and edges Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Localized damage to planes and edges
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 7 Jun 2009 09:50:01
Message: <web.4a2bc4bd4da08f7069f956610@news.povray.org>
This is looking good so far. Do your macros find edges/corners automatically, or
does the user place the cutting shape manually?

Your thoughts on mesh generation echo my own, when I wrote the meshrelief
macros. In particular, the idea of adaptive mesh resolution, which, as you say,
is important for high-resolution damage without great memory expense. This is
something I too wish to improve, although I don't currently have the time to
devote (sometime soon, I hope!).

My macros can save high-res meshes as .inc files to cut down repeated parse
times, and I believe that PoseRay (http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/) can
import mesh2 objects, although I haven't tried it yet. This could be a
profitable line of enquiry for optimisation.

Bill