POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Sands Of Time (wip) : Re: Sands Of Time (wip) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sands Of Time (wip)
From: clipka
Date: 3 Jun 2009 15:05:00
Message: <web.4a26c936466ee5291181d7960@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <joh### [at] homecom> wrote:
> Very early stages of composition. Just can't make up my mind whether the
> sand has too little or too much graininess. What think you all?

What I see in the shot could go well as tiny ripples in the sand, which I'd
consider fitting if the letters were intended to be roughly man-sized (a bit
taller maybe).

It doesn't work for sand grains.

From my experience, "bumps 0.5" works quite good; scale should be such that the
bump "frequency" is approximately 1 bump per 1-2 pixels; bigger scales tend to
look more like ripples, while smaller scales may drown in anti-aliasing.

Another trick to add to the graininess is to scatter tiny spheres on the ground
where it's in focus (they need quite some tweaking to get right though), as was
done in this shot:

http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/imagenewdisplay/stills/207/After_The_Storm.html