POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5 : Re: Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5
From: clipka
Date: 9 May 2009 21:05:00
Message: <web.4a062780e9ba10c2c5e517f90@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> > (a) an optical illusion? (maybe you have the pole's co-ordinate wrong and drawn
> > inward, giving you "only" a shadowed dent)
>
> Almost certainly not - I tried the north pole close-up view with an
> additional light source directly overhead, and the black hole remained!

In that case, if was really a hole, shouldn't you have seen the south pole
through it from inside?

> > (b) a scale or precision related issue?
>
> I wouldn't rule out this... at the moment, I try a scaling divisor of 1
> (!), strangely, radiosity gets extremely slow now!

Sounds like an effect on the octree.

What (absolute) co-ordinate range are we talking about at this divisor?

Note that for best radiosity performance, the visible scene should be close to
<0,0,0>, and absolute sizes not *too* exotic.