POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5 : Re: Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amalthea, now with brightness 1 and assumed_gamma 1.5
From: clipka
Date: 9 May 2009 20:50:00
Message: <web.4a062487e9ba10c2c5e517f90@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> No, it isn't... I found out that when I change the divisor in the vertex
> definition section from 400 to 398, the north polar gap disappears! So
> the result might not be entirely "geographically" accurate, but
> esthetically satisfying...
>
> But I still doubt whether sticking to this kind of work methods will
> ever make me a commercially successful programmer... I'm more like a
> shaggy drop-out log cabin tinkerer than a sophisticated computer scientist!

Indeed - if I'd implement bugfixes to our commercial products in a similar
fashion, my boss would probably rip off my head in no time flat :P

"I don't know why, but it seems to work now"... uh-oh! Experience teaches that
this means more trouble is heading our way some day later >_<

> By the way, when using radiosity the strangely "glowing" portions near
> Amalthea's north pole continue to exist - so it probably is a matter of
> radiosity rather than mesh geometry!

What's your recursion_limit setting?