POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Local Affairs : Re: Local Affairs Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Local Affairs
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 May 2009 07:45:00
Message: <web.4a056b9081e9769969f956610@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > Leaving aside popular notions of 'hyperdrive', which usually seems to involve
> > travel in some other domain with higher speed limits... I thought spacetime
> > wormholes were permitted by general relativity (provided you can find some
> > exotic matter)? Or is that an outdated idea these days?
>
>   A "wormhole" requires that space is already shaped in a certain way
> that allows a "shortcut" to be created. What if space is *not* shaped
> that way? How do you create the wormhole?

I'm (definitely) no expert, but most things I've read on this appear to favour
taking a naturally-occurring quantum wormhole and somehow 'growing' it. The
energy and mass this would appear to require (especially if you want tidal
forces benign enough to make it traversible) are stunning, and of course should
be exotic.

As for making your wormhole an actual shortcut, well, it all depends on where
the other end comes out and how long (locally) the throat is.

I would say that, at least for now, all bets are off. :)

This list is interesting, although I have no idea what credentials the author
has:

https://webfiles.uci.edu/erodrigo/www/WormholeFAQ.html