POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface Strangeness : Isosurface Strangeness Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface Strangeness
From: EricG
Date: 8 May 2009 14:30:01
Message: <web.4a0479c2fb39e0c8e09b63aa0@news.povray.org>
I have been playing with functions in isosurfaces lately.  The attached picture
shows what amounts to a damped cosine wave overlayed on a hexagonal plate.  The
first image is the basic isosurface.  Note the peak in the center.

For the second image, I used a cylinder to cut a hole in the center of the
isosurface using a difference operation.  Note the "ghost" of the peak
appearing in the image.

For the third image, I added a mostly transparent view of the cutting cylinder
as a separate object to visualize and ensure the cylinder was the right size,
etc.  Note that the "ghost" has disappeared in this image.  The only difference
between second and third images is the addition of the view of the cylinder.

Question:  what is causing the "ghost" of the peak of the isosurface (the part
cut out by the difference operation?

Thanks,

Eric

Post a reply to this message