POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : alien seed sphere (animation 2.7 MB) : Re: alien seed sphere (animation 2.7 MB) Server Time
1 Jun 2024 19:08:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alien seed sphere (animation 2.7 MB)
From: Kenneth
Date: 6 May 2009 15:00:01
Message: <web.4a01dcbedc4ed272f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> Time to do some detective work!

OK, I've discovered some strange things.

I went back and re-rendered a large block of original animation frames
surrounding this glitch. No duplicate frames anywhere--I checked. Then I
'post'-blurred them as before (again, no duplicate frame among the final
blurred animation frames), and again used monkeyjam and the xvid codec to make
the .avi MPEG movie. And, as I expected, there is a glitch again--a duplicated
frame--but now it isn't in the same place!

So I did some tests, using different video compression codecs in monkeyjam:
INDEO, CINEPAK, and MJPEG.  And, much to my surprise, none of those three
resulting animations show any duplicate frames! It only happens when monkeyjam
uses the xvid codec. So I went into xvid and fiddled with some settings
there--which didn't help.

Using VirtualDub (thanks for the hint, BTW), I took this 'new' glitchy animation
and removed the offending duplicate frame; then re-encoded it there using xvid
again (just as a test), and the final animation plays in W.M.P. with no glitch.
(So it wasn't a Windows Media Player problem, as I had originally thought; nor
specifically an xvid problem.)

So the only conclusion I can come to is that monkeyjam and the xvid codec have
some kind of problem working together. Which means I need to go back through
*all* the xvid-encoded animations I've made, to see if *they* contain any
duplicate frames that I never noticed.

KW