POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel : Re: shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel
From: clipka
Date: 6 May 2009 07:55:00
Message: <web.4a01799c440bdc7953a485b50@news.povray.org>
Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
> This is really strange because my attached leave image uses the PNG
> alpha channel in the same way you do - and I do get the shadows.

It seems that the UV mapping is the key. I modified your code to use
"uv_mapping", resulting in the same black square for a shadow:

> #local T_Leaf = texture {
>    pigment {image_map {png "AutumnLeaf1" interpolate 2} }
>    finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
> }

#local T_Leaf = texture {
   pigment { uv_mapping image_map {png "AutumnLeaf1" interpolate 2} }
   finish {ambient 0  diffuse 1}
}

> I do not think this is related to the Ivy Generator (how should it?).
> Could you post the PNG file you did use?

I guess we can rule out the picture: With your original code, I don't see the
error with my PNG either. But I do see it once I add the "uv_mapping" keyword,
which I cannot do without.

(BTW, I use the original "efeu1.png" included with Thomas Luft's free Ivy
Generator.)

> It works perfectly well with 3.6 and MegaPov.
> But 3.7 renders those huge XFrog tree meshes about 3 times faster (per
> core!!!) than 3.6 and works well until no media is used.
> Which is kinda sad and currently a show stopper to me.

Yeah, I can imagine.