POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel : Re: shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:16:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: shadows don't honor image_map alpha channel
From: clipka
Date: 6 May 2009 07:10:00
Message: <web.4a016f9d440bdc7953a485b50@news.povray.org>
Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
> The shadows seem to work with both methods:
>
> PNG with internal alpha channel or by using pigment_pattern -
> the way I do prefer, because you can add specular highlights:

Not so in my experience with the Ivy Generator output run through PoseRay.

It's also not a 3.7 problem, but is seen in 3.6 as well (more precisely I tested
it with MegaPOV 1.2.1).

> But as soon as you add media or fog the transparent parts become
> partial visible in 3.7 beta, see the attached shrub. This happens
> also with both methods.

I guess this is due to the non-solid nature of the mesh employed: You have
surfaces where light "enters into" the mesh object, but fails to leave it
later; and while presumed "inside" the mesh object, it will ignore the outer
object's media settings.

Did you check this with 3.6?

I remember something about the "inside_vector" having some default; I guess this
might prevent POV from prudently assuming that a mesh without an "inside_vector"
represents a surface but no volume, and should therefore not affect meda.