POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? : Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 5 May 2009 09:25:00
Message: <web.4a003d668e068c8d6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > I am well aware of the difference, and that using a 'mirror ball' projection
> > with map_type 7 will produce a distorted reflection. All I meant was that in my
> > experience (I have used both types of projection in hdri-lit renders), it can be
> > good enough (scene geometry and view permitting). Comparing the techniques will
> > make the distortion obvious, and an expert may spot it immediately, but it's
> > not the end of the world! :-)
> >

> ;) definitely not!
>
> I just wanted to make it clear for everybody that there is a difference
> and (as Trevor also mentioned) I've seen quite some images where this
> resulting distortion *was* visible and it was obviously not the
> intention of the artists but lack of knowledge about those projection types.

Good point, well made :-)

As an aside, I have recently ordered some mirrored spheres from a garden centre
(of all places!) to do exactly what you described, or at least attempt it. I
suspect the actual photography will be the difficult part. My camera's not an
SLR, so I hope it's up to the task... oh well, good excuse to buy me a new toy
if it's not!