POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? : Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 5 May 2009 09:05:00
Message: <web.4a00391d8e068c8d81c811d20@news.povray.org>
> Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
> >  the importand thing is: The 'mirror ball'
> > *projection* is different to the 'angular' *projection*. But I admit
> > they can very easily be confused.
>
> I am well aware of the difference, and that using a 'mirror ball' projection
> with map_type 7 will produce a distorted reflection. All I meant was that in my
> experience (I have used both types of projection in hdri-lit renders), it can be
> good enough (scene geometry and view permitting). Comparing the techniques will
> make the distortion obvious, and an expert may spot it immediately, but it's
> not the end of the world! :-)

Yes, you are right that you can get away with it in certain circumstances
(no-one will know the difference) and it can do in a pinch so long as
significant portions are not visible either directly or via reflection.  The
distortion is not minor and is fairly obvious if enough of the map is visible.

-tgq