POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? : Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:17:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is there I do not understand about HDRI map_type 7 in MegaPOV?
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 5 May 2009 08:55:00
Message: <web.4a00362b8e068c8d6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
Ive <"ive### [at] lilysoftorg"> wrote:
>  the importand thing is: The 'mirror ball'
> *projection* is different to the 'angular' *projection*. But I admit
> they can very easily be confused.

I am well aware of the difference, and that using a 'mirror ball' projection
with map_type 7 will produce a distorted reflection. All I meant was that in my
experience (I have used both types of projection in hdri-lit renders), it can be
good enough (scene geometry and view permitting). Comparing the techniques will
make the distortion obvious, and an expert may spot it immediately, but it's
not the end of the world! :-)