POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : alien seed sphere (animation 2.7 MB) : Re: alien seed sphere (animation 2.7 MB) Server Time
1 Jun 2024 15:39:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: alien seed sphere (animation 2.7 MB)
From: Kenneth
Date: 5 May 2009 02:00:05
Message: <web.49ffd564dc4ed272f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"sooperFoX" <bon### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> > For some strange reason, when I view this on my Windows XP machine--using
> > Windows Media Player--I see a single, consistent 'stutter' at about 0.9
> > seconds into it.
>
> Sadly, this is also the case on my computer. I am running Windows XP too, so to
> prove to myself that I wasn't going crazy I also looked at it under my fresh
> dual-boot install of Windows 7, and I get the same result.
>
> I loaded the video file into VirtualDub and indeed you have a duplicate frame at
> frames 16 and 17 (0-based), which are identical. Removing frame 17 leaves a
> smooth animation.

Thanks indeed for this info.  I'll take a closer look at my original frames,
although I'm 99% sure that the original un-blurred animation itself doesn't
include duplicate frames. (The scene's animation code--and my 'post'-blurring
code, averaging each 15 frame batch--are both 'clean' AFAIK, and wouldn't have
produced a duplicate frame, anywhere in the chain.)  It's definitely a strange
situation.

Before posting my animation file, I actually went through two complete attempts
at encoding the 'blurred' animation in monkeyjam (using the xvid MPEG codec,
BTW), and both times, the same little stutter showed up when I viewed it in
W.M.P. I haven't seen such a glitch before, in my other similarly-made
animations.

Time to do some detective work!

Ken W.