POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rock The Boat [WIP] : Re: Rock The Boat [WIP] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rock The Boat [WIP]
From: Eriban
Date: 3 May 2009 16:30:01
Message: <web.49fdfe70ea0c76ce81475b100@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Eriban" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> wrote:
> > - improve texturing of the boat (add a bit more wear and tear; suggestions here
> > are especially welcome),
>
> As I guess this is reinforced concrete, you will have rust "flowing" down from a
> few points where the rebar structure protrudes from the concrete (the struts
> that held the rebar cages in place when the concrete was cast).
>
> You may also have places where huge chunks of concrete have chipped away and
> exposed the actual rebar structure.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, it would make sense for the boat to be made of
reinforced concrete (it wouldn't make sense for many boats, but this one is
special ;-). However, it's currently made out of a solid piece of marble-like
rock. That makes less sense than it being made out of concrete, but there's a
reason for it. It's a bit far-fetched, but hopefully I can make it clear. The
reason is that I want to have a texture that's patterned in such a way that
everywhere where the structure of the boat is connected, the texture makes it
clear that this is indeed the case (i.e. the pattern should be sufficiently
complex everywhere so that it is difficult to imagine that it's not connected).
It's pretty hard to make out in the current image at the given resolution, but
if you look closely at the center of the structure (where the three large cubes
meet), you can see that the texturing is actually continuous. Achieving that was
a fun challenge. Arguable, it probably wasn't worth the bother, but since I
bothered, I don't want to lose this feature of the image :-). That in turn
implies that I cannot make the boat of concrete, as concrete would have a more
plain overall texture (with pigment correlations only to very nearby points).

Cheers,

Erwin