POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rock The Boat [WIP] : Re: Rock The Boat [WIP] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rock The Boat [WIP]
From: Eriban
Date: 3 May 2009 16:00:01
Message: <web.49fdf74eea0c76ce81475b100@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> Great concept! :-)

Thanks :-)

> I suppose this is CSG? You could try Bill Pragnell's meshrelief macro for
> the wear and tear.

Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed the structure is currently simple CSG of
planes and boxes. I had a look at the meshrelief macro. I don't think I can use
it as is, but maybe I can modify it to suit my needs. One problem is that I'd
like the boat the be made from a solid, continuous piece of rock (to the extend
that's possible), as opposed to several joined bits, which would be a problem
(the single piece is too complex for the macro to cope with). Another is that I
want some edges to be interpretable in two ways: concave and convex; this is the
case in the center of the impossible structure (where the three large cubes meet
up). For this reason there cannot be any distortions at these edges, as they'll
force a single interpretation of how the sides are joined.

So yeah, to summarize, I'll see if I can mod the macro for some limited wear and
tear at carefully designated spots.

Cheers,

Erwin