POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hotel crime scene : Re: Spotlights with photons (143KB) (Was: Hotel crime scene) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spotlights with photons (143KB) (Was: Hotel crime scene)
From: Edouard
Date: 25 Apr 2009 01:20:00
Message: <web.49f29d2eb14248b518d3cad10@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> Hi again:
>
>      After Edouard mentioned IES light data files, I tried an experiment I
> envisioned sometime ago: creating a realistic spot fixture and let it
> reflect and refract some photons. The tests with just one spot seemed to
> work nicely, but when I integrated it on the hotel scene with the same
> photon spacing, the results don't look so great...

I've tried that in the past too :-)

Your results have come out much better than mine did though - it was the first
time I used photons, so I probably didn't understand what I was doing
properly...

My plan had a "part two" to it (which I also didn't manage to do properly) - I
wanted to render the light and fixture, without any other scene elements, to a
full spherical camera, and use that as the transparency map for the light in a
real scene (possibly with the fixture modified with no_shadow). If you get what
I mean...

It's still on my list of things to experiment with, but perhaps as you are
having far more success than I ever did, it might be something you would find
interesting?

> Jaime

Cheers,
Edouard.