POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : TOY ROBOT (Lilliput) (72KB) : Re: TOY ROBOT (Lilliput) (72KB) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 02:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: TOY ROBOT (Lilliput) (72KB)
From: Reactor
Date: 24 Apr 2009 17:50:01
Message: <web.49f233c6655615c8e126a2d90@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
>     Just another "cannot resist to model it"...
>
>     I always wanted to do a toy robot, but never found the inspiration to
> start. Casually, some days ago I found a picture of this Lilliput robot
> while doing an image search, and I loved its simplicity and elegance, so I
> did a virtual replica with Wings3D in some hours.
>
>    It's still a WIP: the paint job is unfinished, and I want to make it to
> look more ancient, but that is going to require some learning about UV
> unwrapping.
>
>     Regards,
>
> --
> Jaime

You know, I've been trying to do some uv unwrapping on a complex model also, and
after finally figuring out what causes the "failed to export" plugin issue (not
placing every face in the model on the UV chart), I shot myself in the foot by
upgrading to 0.99.04 from 0.98.28 while halfway through the model.  So... a
word of warning:  finish the modeling process before upgrading!

Anyway, I've since realized that uv mapping in wings still has some issues when
it comes to Pov exporting, and I will probably try to partially avoid it, since
the model can be correctly textured using some of the image_map features
directly in POV-ray, if the textures for the object are selected correctly
(that is, marking which areas in wings that will receive which image_map in
povray).

Good luck!

-Reactor

P.S. Seeing the rusty version was actually kind of sad.  However, I noticed that
the arms are still positioned as though the robot were walking.  Are they part
of the model that way, or are they cut for animation?  I keep meaning to write
a wiki article on using marker lights in wings so you can animate your models,
but I never get around to it...