POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Strange Result... : Re: Strange Result... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:14:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange Result...
From: clipka
Date: 19 Apr 2009 06:25:00
Message: <web.49eafafe7f5031e4990f413d0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> FASCINATING! I *very* much appreciate the time you took to explain this method
> so clearly. Mesh 2 generation has been one of those 'mysterious' POV-Ray tools
> that I've never understood before. And eval() is another tool I haven't yet
> used, but am looking forward to experimenting with.

Actually, if you are fine with generating mesh, then there is not much need to
go for mesh2: Both are compiled into the same internal data structures, with no
difference in memory or rendering speed efficiency whatsoever. Mesh2 is intended
for a more compact file format and easier generation by modeller software,
that's all.

Although it is not commonly known, POV-Ray does quite a good job at optimizing
mesh data, detecting identical vertices and normals and such.