POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : LEGO 7804 Lizard - 3.7 beta 32 with Radiosity : Re: LEGO 7804 Lizard - 3.7 beta 32 with Radiosity Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:12:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: LEGO 7804 Lizard - 3.7 beta 32 with Radiosity
From: sooperFoX
Date: 14 Apr 2009 13:10:01
Message: <web.49e4c2b9abb442a43e3c08aa0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

Right on all counts. Thanks for the clarifications; I think I had
over-simplified it in my head and lost some in the translation but I think we
agree.

> Of Metropolis Light Transport I know nothing.

Basically it is an algorithm which uses path tracing (or bi-di path tracing) as
a basis, and once it has found a path it mutates or tweaks it slightly looking
for other, similar paths. In this way it can improve indirect light such as in
that scene with the door almost fully closed. I think it's meant to be good for
indoor scenes which are mostly lit indirectly, or to improve caustics.

There are better explanations around, which I suggest you read if you can,
'cause I haven't done it justice :)

> Same goes for monte-carlo tracing in general, which would provide me with
> reference shots for radiosity. MCPov is unsuited in this respect because it
> cannot co-operate with conventional lighting.

It could be used for one half of a bi-directional path tracer, with the
conventional lights being used for the forward-paths like you mentioned before?

Or perhaps it could be modified to use a point light source as a portal or some
such. In all likelihood if POV were serious about becoming a path-tracer it
might have to be re-imagined but I think it's at least a good beginning.