POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A dream about POV4 : Re: A dream about POV4 Server Time
4 May 2024 06:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A dream about POV4
From: clipka
Date: 13 Apr 2009 15:05:00
Message: <web.49e38c12840aad1a2dae03a10@news.povray.org>
"Jaap Frank" <jjf### [at] casemanl> wrote:

> Next I choose a crossroad and connecting roads and fit it to my needs :
> //  a macro composing the crossroad
> $$CrossRoad{
>     position <4, 1, 75>
>     road_width 5
>     pavement{ $$Asphalt }
>     pedestrians on
> }

Actually I'm busy about a language proposal that *could* support this type of
stuff; the syntax would be slightly different, but it would make it possible to
write "macros" with arbitrary properties to manipulate with just the same syntax
as the basic primitives provided by POV-Ray. I guess I know already how I want
it to look, and it seems to work out regarding the formalisms it is based on.

One thing it would do differently, for instance, would be the pavement thing: It
would either have:

    pavement: $$Asphalt;

or simply:

    $$Asphalt;

> //  a macro composing the roads
> $$Road{
>     position <4, 1, 75>
>     length 250
>     width 5
>     pavement{ $$Asphalt }
>     sidewalk on
>     rotate -180*y
>     translate  -253.5*z
> }

As a side note, I think a "rotate" statement in a new POV SDL should *not*
follow that nasty "rotate about x then about y then about z" approach, but
instead allow for rotations about arbitrary axes. If someone still wants to do
a step-by-step multiple rotation, they can do so by following-up multiple
"rotate" statements (or maybe the rotate statement could get an arbitrarily
long list of parameters).