POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Veined marble objects using SSLT (new in Beta 32) : Re: Veined marble objects using SSLT (new in Beta 32) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:14:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Veined marble objects using SSLT (new in Beta 32)
From: clipka
Date: 10 Apr 2009 06:10:00
Message: <web.49df1acd4695c6238f33a8410@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> First off - fantastic work on the initial SSLT algorithm, it's an amazing
> feature that already works very well!

Thanks. Glad to hear you like it.

> And now to my request :-) Having the SSLT algorithm be able to take a density
> parameter in the same way media does would be in my top two requests for future
> work - faked media-based SSS can give some pretty stunning results in term of
> the feeling for the material.

Unfortunately(?), the model on which the SSLT algorithm is based is not really
"volume aware": Basically all it does to compute the apparent color of a point
on the object's surface is sample the incident light at some other surface
points nearby, and then apply some smart math to it.

So yes, I will ultimately equip it with mechanisms to vary the material
parameters over space. But no, this will only take into account the parameters
on the surface (using the values at both the entrance and exit point).

Well, we'll see what the SSLT code will be able to do with that pattern
approach.

A possible extension would be to simply use not the parameters at the entrance
and exit point, but the averaged value along a straight line between the two.
Maybe this would be a viable way to "fake" volumetric effects.