POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Veined marble objects using SSLT (new in Beta 32) : Re: Veined marble objects using SSLT (new in Beta 32) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Veined marble objects using SSLT (new in Beta 32)
From: Edouard
Date: 9 Apr 2009 22:25:01
Message: <web.49dead274695c623bda078810@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "MessyBlob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Today I tested the principle of making a SSLT marble object, lit from behind.
> > Results are interesting, but not entirely successful. I'll retry it in future
> > though.
> >
> > The idea is that the veins permeate through the solid, and have different
> > absorbent and diffusive properties than the rest of the medium.
> > (Speculative!) Observations:
>
> Plain fact observation:
>
> You're operating far beyond the current limitations of the SSLT algorithm :P

First off - fantastic work on the initial SSLT algorithm, it's an amazing
feature that already works very well!

And now to my request :-) Having the SSLT algorithm be able to take a density
parameter in the same way media does would be in my top two requests for future
work - faked media-based SSS can give some pretty stunning results in term of
the feeling for the material.

My examples is far from stunning, but hopefully shows that there's a huge amount
that could be achieved if density could make it into the SSLT system...

Cheers,
Edouard.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'media-sss-density.jpg' (25 KB)

Preview of image 'media-sss-density.jpg'
media-sss-density.jpg