POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How True : Re: How True Server Time
29 Sep 2024 23:28:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How True
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 Apr 2009 15:20:01
Message: <web.49de4a335bdc635269f956610@news.povray.org>
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > Also, people often seem to decide beforehand whether they're going to like a
> > movie or not, which is a bewildering feat of doublethink to me.
>
> I usually try to expect the movies to suck. That way, when they're merely
> average, it was fun to watch them. :-)

Yup, that'll work too... although if I expect a movie to suck too much, I won't
want to go see it ;-)

> Another problem is that they weren't really as surprising. The first movie
> explored a fascinating idea with lots of possibilities. The other two simply
> continued on. IMO.

Agreed.

> IME, when a first movie is good, the second movie sucks because they put in
> all the parts they thought made the first movie unique instead of all the
> parts that made it *good*, and by the third movie they've figured out why
> the second bombed.  With a few notable exceptions, of course.

Empire Strikes Back being a very notable exception!

Oh yeah, and I'm with you on the Pirates films. The first (as always) remains
the best standalone movie, but I loved the others too. Oh, I know Will and Liz
were poorly-written simpering characters, but I really liked the way everyone
was genuinely out for themselves, and watching their goals and actions move
around whenever something changed was great. I could watch more Pirates sequels
with great enjoyment!