POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How True : Re: How True Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:25:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How True
From: clipka
Date: 9 Apr 2009 10:55:00
Message: <web.49de0b7f5bdc6352b06defeb0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Most people seem to think that most other people think the sequels suck.
> However, when you think about how they affected popular culture, especially
> the first sequel, that doesn't really seem to be so. It's a bit like the
> thought of "most people think the sequels suck" is a legend which most
> people believe but isn't really true.

I do hate the first sequel. Can't tell anything about the third one - never
bothered to watch it.

The original movie was a very simple and straightforward parable: Evil agents,
good "hackers", and a messias-like hero, telling the audience that faith can
move mountains; with the story citing from the bible like a TV preacher on
steroids.

There. Not much more to be said about the movie, except for the artistic style.
All in all, the movie was brilliant, yet it's simple. It was brilliant in its
simplicity.

The second movie cluttered the matrix universe with a host of freaks, twists and
subplots. No real message in sight. No clear source it cited from - except the
very cliches generated in popular culture by first movie. In short: It sucked.

I don't think it sucked because it went against the fandom reception of the
first view. I think it sucked because it tried to *build* on that very fandom
reception - and failed utterly, because it was unable to make any significant
points of its own. It didn't help that it tried desperately to. It just made
things worse.