POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here : Re: POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here
From: clipka
Date: 2 Apr 2009 07:10:01
Message: <web.49d49be84ee6dd4ef708085d0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Hmm, that's bad! :-O   You're right, it certainly isn't applicable in all cases.

I've been thinking for quite some time now that the use of the ambient term in
radiosity-only scenes is no good. When one wants to create a light source in a
radiosity-only scene, technically the classic lighting's ambient mechanism does
the required thing, but the intention is *far* away from the concept implied by
that parameter's name. And it keeps causing trouble.

If I'm asked, there should be a separate "emission" parameter, with the whole
"ambient" mechanism turned off in radiosity scenes.

After all, the original intention of the ambient term, and its most common use
in non-radiosity scenes, is to approximate diffuse illumination - which is
*exactly* what radiosity is intended to model more realistically.