POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A lot of mcpov renderings here : Re: A lot of mcpov renderings here Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A lot of mcpov renderings here
From: sooperFoX
Date: 1 Apr 2009 15:00:00
Message: <web.49d3b8fb6108ca703e3c08aa0@news.povray.org>
Ive wrote:
> Err, did you add the mc_sky keyword like...
>
> sphere { 0, 1000
>    pigment {image_map {hdr "D:\Maps\HDR\kitchen_lat_long" map_type 1}}
>    finish {ambient 1 diffuse 0}
>    montecarlo { mc_sky { 100 }}
> }
>
> ...to your HDRI sphere?
>
> Just curious 'cause I've rendered similar scenes with MCPov within 2
> hours on 1 core with acceptable results. But there might be something
> special with this one...
>
> -Ive

Yes, although I used a value of 1000 instead of 100. I figured I might get
better shadows that way, but I haven't performed a comparison yet.

Also, I have "just" a Core2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz - not the fastest around, and
it's not overclocked or anything.

The render is still going, I am going to leave it on overnight and then I will
try it again with mc_sky { 100 } and see if there is any difference.

What do you use for your finish? I have:

default { finish { diffuse 1 ambient 0 montecarlo { mc_diffuse { 1 2 2 }
mc_use_cosine_distrib } } }

The cosine_distrib is just there for cases where I don't have sky importance
sampling turned on.

Cheers