POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another illusion : Re: Another illusion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another illusion
From: Eriban
Date: 1 Apr 2009 12:55:00
Message: <web.49d39bb0417afb2681475b100@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

> What you could try to do is combine the two textures, in particular to keep
> yours with the scale effect of the other one. That should not be too
> difficult imo.

No, that should not be too difficult indeed. However, I don't think it would
look too good, or at least, that it won't look that biologically plausible.
Scales to me suggest that they have grown independently, which would make a
continuous pattern across the scales seem unnatural. I am not a biologist
though. However, the quick googling I have done so far for images of reptiles
and turtles with scales with a camouflage pattern seems to confirm this. Scales
can be patterned, but the pattern does not extend across the scales. This is I
think a bit more difficult to model as a texture, but probably also won't look
as nice. Still, I'd like the resulting texture to be somewhat biologically
plausible...

Cheers,
Erwin