POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A lot of mcpov renderings here : Re: A lot of mcpov renderings here Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:13:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A lot of mcpov renderings here
From: sooperFoX
Date: 1 Apr 2009 11:55:01
Message: <web.49d38d4b6108ca703e3c08aa0@news.povray.org>
"triple_r" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> > That overlaying of images intrigues me. It is merging of two or more images
> > in a paint program isn't it? What is used in that case? Averaging?
>
> 'convert -average *.png result.png' for you Unix/Linux-types.  (Upon further
> inspection, of course ImageMagick is available for Windows, too.)  I'm not sure
> how it handles precision for many images, but I've had good luck.  I'd also
> recommend rendering much larger images than you need since you can just
> down-scale later and reduce the noise.  2x2 -> 1x1 = 1/sqrt(4) = 1/2 the noise.
>
>  - Ricky

Quite right. Here is a rendering of the biscuit advanced scene that comes with
POV-Ray, rendered with MCPov. This is after almost 9 hours on 4 cores (which
ended up running about 46 passes each in that time) at 1920x1200, and then
averaged and scaled by half to 960x600. Each of the 4 full-size images is still
fairly noisy but once they are averaged and scaled down it's not so bad.

The only thing I changed in the scene was removing the light_sources and
replacing them with a HDR probe (yes, the kitchen!) on a large sphere.

I also had to use mc_colour_clip 2.0 in the global settings due to lots of
bright pixels, especially in the back of the biscuit tin where the lights are
being reflected onto the biscuits.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'biscuitmc.jpg' (190 KB)