POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here : Re: POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:22:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.7 metals.inc; post your textures here
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 31 Mar 2009 07:35:00
Message: <web.49d1ff864ee6dd4e6dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"[GDS|Entropy]" <gds-entropy    AT    hotmail   DOT  com> wrote:
> Please post your metal textures here.
> Once this inc file is done I will move to waters.inc, stones.inc, woods.inc,
> etc.. so you can go ahead and post those textures too if you want. Remember:
> radiosity compatibility. ;-)

These textures are all great, but they all seem to fill very specific needs.
What might be nice is to also offer a set of 'bog-standard' ;-) polished,
diffuse or otherwise finished metals which just consist of a well-chosen
pigment colour and the standard finish/normal in question (i.e., Gold_Polished,
Gold_Diffuse, Gold_Beaten) etc.

Does anyone know of any decent photographic reference table(s) that compare
different metal colours? Even just jewellery metals would be a starting point.
(I've tried searching for this before and always come up short). I know some of
the common ones are defined in colors.inc, but to be honest most of them don't
look like the metals they're named for, so starting afresh would be my best
option.

I'm happy to knock up a standard set like this as long as I can find some good
image references.

Comments?