POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : CA shell (132k jpg) : Re: CA shell (132k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: CA shell (132k jpg)
From: clipka
Date: 30 Mar 2009 13:00:01
Message: <web.49d0f973d610c01df708085d0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <^@hotmail.com> wrote:
> clipka wrote:
> > stbenge <^@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> Questions and comments are welcome, as always~
> >
> > My, that's purdie!
> >
> > Tried this as a blob?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sure, I thought about it. I don't like to think of what the render time
> would be though. I might give it a shot, for another object perhaps.

Actually, I recently replaced several thousands of randomly placed spheres in
some scene with blobs, not for "blobification" but just for speedup. Seems like
the internal bounding of blobs is significantly more effective than the standard
boxing approach.

But that may also differ depending on other circumstances; for instance, those
spheres were scattered quite sparsely about, so the main load was not to
compute intersection points, but to verify that no intersection points had to
be computed in the first place.