POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another illusion : Re: Another illusion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:11:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another illusion
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 Mar 2009 14:40:00
Message: <web.49ce6e39417afb2678641e0c0@news.povray.org>
"Eriban" <pov### [at] spamgourmetcom> wrote:
> Given the time, I should probably improve the candle a bit.

Yes, that would be a welcome improvement.  The "old-school ray-tracing"
atmosphere is charming, but it doesn't work on the candle.  For the interim, a
lighter, yellower color and some specular highlights might do.

The "old school" gets irritating in the shadows, though.  The hourglass and the
candle holder look a bit too flat.

My .02 on the controversial topics:

The image action was clear to me *almost* from the beginning.  My first
impression was that the long, skinny thing (whatever it was) sticking out of
the mirror wasn't reflected properly.  Then I noticed the reflections of the
"thing" in the chrome sphere, and it became obvious what was going on.

I like the texture on the dragon.  In most situations it would be an eyesore,
but in this particular scene, it just fits.  The bright, contrasting colors
also help bring the viewer's attention to what's going on.