POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Knurling Macro : Re: Knurling Macro Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Knurling Macro
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Mar 2009 05:20:01
Message: <web.49cc99e925cfdcef50167bc0@news.povray.org>
CShake <cshake+pov### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Sorry about the incorrect last one, that was just a square bumps thing,
> here's a real knurl.
> Once again, the shape of the 'cylinder' itself is defined, then the
> spacing of the peaks (this time different for vertical and horizontal,
> to allow for non-45degree angles of knurling). Tops of peaks can be
> flattened off, and the valleys can be chopped too (though that isn't
> possible when doing this on a lathe).

Beautiful work!  This is a 'keeper' image for me, going into my collection.

I was wondering if you had previously tried the 'quilted' pattern (as turned
into a function, for use with the HF_Cylinder macro in shapes.inc)? That would
seem to be an alternate method to create a knurling effect on a cylinder,
although I haven't tried it myself.

Ken W.