POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Next Generation SDL Brainstorming : Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming Server Time
15 May 2024 08:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Next Generation SDL Brainstorming
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Mar 2009 05:00:00
Message: <web.49cc9492ad594047f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Kenneth <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> > The #while loop is easily understood, simply from the fact of its name.
>
>   I beg to differ. I once wrote a long page dedicated solely to explaining
> how the #while loop does and doesn't work, because misunderstandings are
> so common:
>
> http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/whileloops.html

My main concern is actually with 'semantics' (if that's the right word.) I.e.,
the term #while seems to be quite logical and understandable in its meaning:
"while (this is true) do this stuff" etc. Same thing with #if. But--using #for
as an example again--I'm not so sure I understand what "for" signifies, in an
English syntax sense. (Actually, I do seem to recall 'for-next' being a part of
Fortran IV that I learned long ago in college. I think. Which has been my only
experience with 'real' computer programming, aside from Basic or one of its
iterations on an old Commodore computer. But #for doesn't immediately create a
mental picture of what it does.) So my own desire would be to have SDL syntax
that is as easy (or even easier) to 'quickly grasp' than the current version's.

KW