POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : new simple test : Re: new simple test Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new simple test
From: Edouard
Date: 27 Mar 2009 04:45:01
Message: <web.49cc9169f0387919eba2273d0@news.povray.org>
"Cousin Ricky" <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> "Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> >
> > But, in the meantime, you've inspired me to do some work on my own bank lighting
> > macros in my stochastic render rig.
>
> The refracting objects need some shadows.  To use an analogy with traditional
> lighting methods, the areas around the glass look like they were illuminated
> with interior { caustics } rather than with photon mapping.

Well spotted - the glass sphere (as well as the glass statue) simply use
"interior { caustics }" to give some impression of the light traveling through
the material.

I haven't got around to trying photons yet in my rig - it may well work by
taking a very low number of samples, since in effect you end up with 400 times
as many if you do 400 passes.

Cheers,
Edouard.