POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Textured block pattern problem : Re: Textured block pattern problem Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textured block pattern problem
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 26 Mar 2009 07:45:00
Message: <web.49cb69cf143ba0c56dd25f0b0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> > Just an aside to your discussion, obviously, but...
> >
> > What about using a regular pigment function in the height field?
>
> You always need an image (= image file or "internal image" aka "function image")
> to generate the height field from... or do you know some other way?

Apologies, I think we're talking about the same thing. You don't need any
"image" related SDL keywords, that's what confused me (without having looked it
up till now)!

> At other occasions I'd fully agree with you (after all, POV is mostly
> "tri-vial", you know ;)), but we're talking specifically about height_field
> objects here.

The 'tri-vial' was indeed my angle :) Yes, fair enough, the underscore seemed to
get lost somewhere, I was thinking of general solutions.

> (Well, the isosurface solution won't work as you described anyway, because it
> needs some gradient mixed in to act as a height field substitute :P)

Yes. Well, I didn't really describe it at all :)