POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Textured block pattern problem : Re: Textured block pattern problem Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textured block pattern problem
From: Kenneth
Date: 25 Mar 2009 17:20:00
Message: <web.49ca9d39143ba0c5f50167bc0@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> In this case, another one would be to use the pattern as a function image (see
> 3.5.11.16) without the "once" keyword ;) (didn't test it, but I guess it should
> tile like any proper image would)

Yes indeed; I use that technique quite a bit.

The only problem with a function image is the really odd 'upside-down mirror
image' behavior of the resulting pattern 'slice' (at least when it's used to
make a HF, anyway.) Try making a function image from an image_map to see what I
mean.  This behavior seems to be intrinsic to using a function with *any*
pattern (although, since POV patterns like bozo and such are
random-looking anyway, it's difficult to see this effect.) Awhile ago, I posted
something about all this, with a fix (and I've since found a slightly simpler
fix, but the posted one will do it)...

http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3Cweb.47f304325a8bc21378dcad930%40news.povray.org%3E/

KW