POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Textured block pattern problem : Re: Textured block pattern problem Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Textured block pattern problem
From: clipka
Date: 25 Mar 2009 11:05:00
Message: <web.49ca4724143ba0c5c1f399840@news.povray.org>
> >   I always thought that POV-Ray was specially crafted for people who like to
> > reinvent the 3D wheel... :)
>
> It's often quicker to do so than go hunting through docs and resources...!
>
> I was making some textures the other day by drawing pictures with spherical and
> boxed pigments, then tessellating them. Because I was using pigment functions
> to combine the various shapes, it seemed obvious to call them as
>
> fn(x-floor(x), 0, z-floor(z)).x
>
> to get the repetition...

Yeah. It seems that most things are actually quite trivial in POV - at least in
the original latin sense, literally meaning "having three ways" ;)

In this case, another one would be to use the pattern as a function image (see
3.5.11.16) without the "once" keyword ;) (didn't test it, but I guess it should
tile like any proper image would)

You know you've been raytracing too long when...
    ... you know every little trick the POV SDL has to offer ;)