POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Looking to the Sun : Re: Looking to the Sun Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Looking to the Sun
From: clipka
Date: 20 Mar 2009 20:35:00
Message: <web.49c43569aa0d6de0db388e5b0@news.povray.org>
"Edouard" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> The object is just being coloured by a DF3 file, but the DF3 file was itself
> created from the object by sample points in space around each voxel. The
> density of the voxel is determined by how many samples are inside the object vs
> how many samples are outside.

So basically it's a kind of antialiased voxel representation of the object?

Then I think it's not the ideal way to do it.

If I understand it correctly, the desired effect is that the DF3 helps you
texture an object differently in areas that "stick out" as opposed to
"recessing" regions. For this purpose, the DF3 should be "blurred" in a way.

If I get you right, your approach leveas all blurring to the "voxel
oversampling" and POV's DF3 interpolation. However, this is strongly dependent
on the DF3 resolution.

To improve the approach, the sample points could be jittered even beyond the
boundaries of their "nominal voxel" using a gaussian distribution, which can be
scaled according to the desired "blurriness" of the DF3 for more control, so one
can improve quality of the DF3 (by increasing resolution) without "sharpening"
it.

> > (BTW, the corroded texture seems a bit too strong to me; or is that green color
> > reflections?)
>
> I've done some google image searches, and bronze patina's can be as strong as
> this one, but often a bit paler in colour. There's an enormous variation from
> what I can tell. It's being lit by a setting sun on the horizon, which might
> contribute to the patina's intensity a little.

Taken by itself, it doesn't seem wrong to me; it's the contrast to the
uncorroded bronze that makes it look strange in my eyes. I can't imagine you'll
ever have that strong corrosion in some parts while others are perfectly shiny.